Clear thinking depends on our body, as much as our body depends on clear thinking. What in our mind is an externally derived belief can literally end up as senility, such as alzheimers’s. Objective knowledge matches reality giving us a critical directive that protects us from obesity, cancer and degenerative disease.
You’re a reasonable person, aren’t you? Most people are… until it comes to their beliefs. Health depends on our ability to reason; there’s logical reasons why our health is rejuvenating or degenerating. If we don’t know the facts about diet and exercise, we have to fill in the story with something. The most extreme beliefs, no matter how well-meaning or good intentioned, cause the most dependency; we hold onto them for dear life (even if it harms us).
Unless belief is based in reality, no amount of manipulation can cover up the contradictions, and eventually a slippage of faith occurs. It’s an opportunity to find the courage to be present in the creative “I don’t know” moment, and discover reality. Self-awareness of our body and psyche, physically and psychologically, helps us to perceive and access what counts in terms of our health.
Check your beliefs against these facts:
- During exercise skeletal muscles can pull up to 90% of the blood out the body (virtually cutting off circulation to the viscera)… the shift starts as soon as muscle contraction begins.
- Even when pumping the fastest during most exercise, heart muscle tissue only gets a tiny fraction of 1% increase in circulation.
- Small muscles in the wrist usually don’t reach VO2max like the larger muscles in the arms, even at maximum cardiac output.
- Core temperature can drop suddenly after exercise due to constriction of deep body blood vessels by the adrenaline hormone.
- Body pH acidity can rob our bones of minerals, and lead to osteoporosis.
- Changes in pH can be detected as soon as respiration quickens during physical activity.
- Mental, emotional, and physical stress disrupts body pH balance. Body chemistry is most integrative to our body/ mind when pH is returned to normal within 5-15 minutes after acidic workouts (such as resistance training and sports including hiking, biking, running, etc.)